Corruption Causes Remedies Essay
Corruption Essay CPI Types Causes Effects Solutions Speech Slogans Quotes
Corruption All Around the World Essay
- What Is Corruption?
- Where Corruption Occurs In All Over World
- Types of Corruption
- Corruption Impacts In Daily Life
- Causes of Corruption
- Present and Past Scenarios of Corruption
- Solutions of the Problem
What Is Corruption?
Corruption is a very serious concern that has permeated much of society. Corruption occurs when those who are in power engage in fraudulent or dishonest behaviors. This is often done with the benefit of those who are in power in mind. The people who are trying to make an honest living in their lives will end up being harmed in many ways. The risks that are involved can certainly be a concern but people can be informed and educated as a means of keeping corruption from being worse than it could be.
Where Corruption Occurs In All Over World
The Corruption Perceptions Index, or CPI, is measured from 10 to 0 with 10 being free from corruption. The following countries have exceptionally low CPI ratings and are therefore considered to be highly corrupt.
|Haiti||2.2||The country has experienced an extremely corrupt government for generations with many organizations using illegal measures to take over public funds and to use them for themselves. The recovery from the 2010 earthquake in the country has especially been slow due to the government’s corrupt behaviors.|
|Iraq||1.5||Although the country has seen some improvements in the post-Saddam Hussein ear, the Iraqi government has engaged in corrupt actions with utility providers as a means of allowing the richest people in the country to have access to basic needs. Meanwhile, the poorest people in the world are struggling.|
|Sudan||1.6||The Sudanese government has been hoarding a large amount of money from China’s petroleum production company. The money has not been going back to the people of Sudan who deserve it.|
|Turkmenistan||1.6||The Turkmenistan government operates most of the natural gas reserves in the country. The organization works without offering the gas stores to the public as the government hoards the profits.|
|Myanmar||1.4||Myanmar, or Burma as the United States still calls it, has plundered various resources and has engaged in extreme restrictions in terms of how people can express themselves.|
Types of Corruption
- Political corruption is where members of the government abuse their powers and restrict the rights of those in the country. These people will often engage in actions like restricting resources or passing laws that are harmful to specific groups of people.
- Police corruption works when the police in a country engage in misconduct as a means of controlling the law in a spot. This often entails false evidence and arrests and even support for organized crime activities.
- Judicial corruption occurs as the judicial branch in a country takes in bribes, holds biases in hearings and does other actions to restrict the freedoms that people have within the country. These restrictions are used to make it harder for people to receive justice.
Corruption Impacts In Daily Life
- People who fall victim to corruption are often subjected to extreme restrictions in terms of what they can do in their lives. These include limits over how people can get access to various services and functions from the government.
- A country’s economy will become dramatically impacted as well. This comes as outside entities are not willing to do business with countries that engage in harsh behaviors relating to corrupt attitudes and actions.
- The services that are available to the public will be heavily restricted. Water, energy and transportation services may be heavily limited because of the government’s insistence on taking more for itself.
- People in corrupt countries often experience poor health conditions. They are not making money to help them support healthy lifestyles and are not getting the medical services that they demand.
- The infrastructure of a country may especially weaken to the point where roads, utility services and other everyday needs that people have will not be met properly. This could result in substantial damages to the livelihoods of people who live in these countries.
Causes of Corruption
- Personal greed is typically the most commonplace cause of corruption. This occurs as people will end up doing all sorts of things to try and earn more money even if their integrity is going to take a hit in the process.
- A lack of awareness of situational issues within communities often causes corruption to develop. This comes amid many communities struggling to try and earn the resource they require.
- A lack of proper regulations may also be a problem. This comes as the rules for what can be done within particular governmental departments may be too sketchy or otherwise not listed as well as they should be.
Present and Past Scenarios of Corruption
- Individual American politicians have engaged in actions to add to their finances and to take kickbacks from private parties in exchange for preferential treatment. The cases of Boss Tweed and Rod Blagojevich are particularly noteworthy examples.
- During much of the mid-twentieth century, Bangladesh had engaged in various actions of bribery in terms of various functions. For instance, people have often been forced to pay money just to get access to their mail.
- A security advisor for Nigerian president Good luck Jonathan had stolen billions of dollars from the country’s finances. These included finances used to help with the fight against the Boko Haram extremist terror group.
- Somalia has engaged in many corrupt actions involving piracy. This includes cases where pirates raise money through ransoms by hijacking various shipments and other items offshore.
- North Korea has become notorious for corrupting its citizens. This comes as the government not only withholds resources and services from people but also from the extreme serious of rules that are imposed upon the general public.
- Afghanistan has been struggling to keep corruption from being a problem. The relatively new democratic government has very few legislations and rules, thus making corruption easier to perform.
Solutions of the Problem
- The public can be encouraged to learn more about corruption and how to spot cases of corruption. These include cases where the government restricts functions and steals from the public.
- Transparency is a concern for the government. All governments need to be open in terms of what they are doing and how they will handle all sorts of functions.
- Proper law enforcement is especially important to take a look at. This includes encouraging the government to provide information to people to make it easier for information to be highlighted. Access to information is especially an important aspect to see.
- International loopholes must be resolved to ensure that any problems with the government are fixed. In particular, relationships with international organizations need to be improved. There is also a need to ensure that governments operate in accordance with international protocols. This is to ensure that there is a consistent setup for all of the people involved.
The concerns that come with corruption all around the world are very significant. It is important to ensure that the governments all around the world work hard to ensure that the general public is protected and that any problems that might occur around the world could be resolved. The threats that come with corruption are very substantial as many organizations will take from the people that they are supposed to support. The threats are truly dangerous and concerning.
By being open and available to the public, the world will be less corrupt. It is important for people to be educated about the risks of corruption and what to do in the event that they spot cases of corruption no matter what these cases are like.
Speech On Corruption
Corruption is a real problem that has impacted many governments all around the world. Corruption involves people being harmed as governments engage in actions that are hurtful to the public and beneficial to those who are in power.
Corruption often occurs as a result of governments engaging in harmful behaviors. The government may start to take money from other people organizations and may start to create substantial limitations on what freedoms people may have. In addition, the judicial and police departments of a country may end up engaging in corrupt actions.
These often come about because of a lack of rules and from there being a sense of distrust among people. The general value of greed is especially a problem.
Corruption is especially prominent in many parts of the world that are not as well controlled. Asia and Africa are especially home to many countries that engage in harmful behaviors. These issues can certainly make for a real problem but it is a necessity to see what might happen in the future.
In addition, many individuals may engage in corruption on their own. This has especially been the case in the United States as many individuals have committed various corrupt activities on their own.
It is easy for corrupt governments to get away with the actions that they partake in. However, people can help to stop corruption to ensure that the issue can be controlled. Much of this entails working hard to stop governmental entities by requiring people to stay healthy.
By understanding what might happen in terms of corruption, it will be easier to ensure that more countries will be protected. This is important as corruption may occur in practically any part of the world. Being able to control the issue is a necessity for the safety and protection of the world.
Quotes & Slogans On Corruption
Transparency is a point about the world that will make corruption into a thing of the past.
No matter what happens in life, corruption is always going to be a threat.
Even the youngest and healthiest democracies in the world could become victims of corruption.
When corruption starts, it will only become more intense and widespread unless the proper fixes are made.
When corruption occurs, more laws will be passed that will restrict the lives of people all around.
Fear is a concern that comes about with corruption. As corruption spreads, people will become afraid of their communities and the people who run them.
Power is lost when corruption occurs. No one will be able to get a fair say in a country when corruption takes place.
Not many people are willing to speak up when they see cases of corruption.
Our youth can help to stop corruption by knowing what it is about and what can be done to help with fixing the problems involved.
When people become poor, they will do anything to try and get ahead and make up for their losses. This includes working hard to corrupt their communities if only to get easy money out of it.
Corruption simply means bribery in general understanding but it's more than that. Corruption means injustice, misuse or disorder in morality [bad habits/character], monetary [bribery/fraught/laundering], mental [negative attitude], physical [unwanted provocations] etc.
Corruptions of any kind are nuisances to the society. Corruption is the root causes of all the evils in the society. It hampers progress. It brings unhappiness. It produces terrorists. It brings war.
So, it is high time for all the thoughtful people to come forward for stopping this social menace called Corruption. To do this, let us discuss the Problems & Solutions as follows:
Problem 1: Lack of spirituality among people.
Solution: Develop and help to develop spiritual qualities like love, purity, cleanliness, duty, sincerity, empathy, non-injury, equity, unity, philanthropy, justice, happiness etc. among people Let spirituality / morality be taught in academic institutions as a compulsory subject of study at every stage.
Let all the leaders in the society develop and practice spirituality at the first place while exercising leadership, so that general people follow their steps. Where there is spirituality [light], there will be no corruption [darkness].
Problem 2: Misguidance of followers by Religious Leaders.
Solution: All the religious leaders viz Hindu Gurus, Muslim Leaders, Christian Fathers, Buddhist Monks etc should preach spirituality / morality as the universal religious teachings not fanatic / bigoted / malicious /dogmatic / ritualistic / narrow minded teachings that stands against unity in diversity. Spirituality should be the common teaching to the people by the religious leaders.
Problem 3: Corrupted elections.
Solution: Corruption during the elections i.e. distribution of money, intoxications, drugs, throwing parties/feasts etc to the voters by the candidates or demanding them by the voters to the candidates should be stopped. This excess of expenses during elections are the root causes of corruption by the elected public leaders when they become Ministers, MPs or MLAs etc.
General public also cannot stop them from corruption as they got corrupted money & treats during election. So, there should be strict rules to punish both the candidates and the voters who give or demand money etc. Only when elections are held corrupt free, then we can expect corrupt free government functioning.
Problem 4: Corrupted Government Department Heads.
Solution: The heads of all the government departments should be the examples of dutiful & corrupt free people of integrity. They should see how his/her department is functioning in the interest/welfare of the people. Result oriented, innovative plans/projects should be implemented sincerely & effectively. Any careless & undutiful staff should be subjected to immediate disciplinary action.
Proper utilization of funds is a must. Department heads should not play blame game to Ministers etc, rather they themselves should be responsible for their respective department functioning.
Problem 5: Undutiful academic/training Institute Heads.
Solution: The heads of educational & other training institutes viz VCs, Principals, Head Masters, Head Mistresses, CEOs, Directors etc should be people of integrity and set examples of dutifulness. Then, they should see that all the teaching & non-teaching staff are discharging their duties properly.
The teachers should be dutiful and teach the students not just for salary but to produce good students. Education is not business [unfortunately now the reverse is true!]. Education is for making of good human beings not money making alone.
Problem 6: Narrow minded Organization Heads.
Solution: Presidents, Secretaries & other Heads of the Social Welfare Organizations, Non Governmental Organizations, Revolutionary Groups should be the people of ideal characters, corrupt free, dutiful people of integrity with broad outlook for common good above their narrow group interests.
All demands and protests should be done in such a way that their interests are served while the public interests are not affected. They can take huge roles in enhancing spirituality / morality in the society as role models.
Problem 7: Corrupted Ministers, MPs, MLAs, Governors, Secretaries, IAS officers.
Solution: Ministers, MPs, MLAs should always keep people's welfare above all in all their undertakings. All their dealings should be based on justice. Quality work/control must be ensured. They should not exercise their power for selfish ends. They should be paid good salaries & other facilities to ensure them live decently and discharge public duties smoothly without any fear or pressure.
Ministers, MPs, MLAs are the most important people to stop corruption. Direct government functionaries like Governors, Secretaries, IAS officers should be models of dutiful, corrupt free people of integrity. They should stand for justice and public good.
Problem 8: Parents / Guardians fault.
Solution: Parents / Guardians' first duty is to give birth to children whom they can guide properly. Early & unplanned marriages should be avoided. Parents / Guardians should have spiritual qualities and inherit them to their children.
They should ensure that their children become good human beings with spiritual qualities while providing higher education. They should not encourage children to any kind of corrupted dealings. Morality is above money. Home is the best place for spiritual / moral education.
Problem 9: Corruption in Health Care.
Solution: It is very dangerous because human life is at stake. Unqualified/substandard doctors/surgeons may cost human life due to wrong prescriptions or wrong operations. Drugs from substandard manufacturers can damage people's health severely or even death. Undutiful doctors again cost human life. So, it is in the public interest that all kinds of corruptions be stopped in Health Care.
Problem 10: Corruption in Public Works.
Solution: Substandard office buildings, hospitals, complexes, roads, bridges, canals, walls, drainages are all the clearly reflected images of corruption in this sector. Department heads, Contractors, Engineers, Suppliers have drained out public money in their pockets with the dismal work outputs. It is really a pitiful situation indeed. This corruption in public works should be stopped immediately with the exemplary punishment of those who are guilty of misuse of the public funds.
Problem 11: Corruption in Police, Army, Navy & Air force.
Solution: Problem with the police force is the misuse of force on common people while overlooking injustice of the high commands. Police is meant for social security, for punishing the guilty & protecting the innocent people. Corruption of police at all levels have to stop immediately.
Army is meant for defending the country against foreign invasions not for harassing the innocent citizens. Navy & Air force personals are not supposed to live in luxury in the name of water & air defense. All the three defense wings should do social work while there is no war else it is a waste of public money to maintain them. Corruption in gun deal or boats/ships/aircraft carrier or fighter jets etc. are to be stopped at all levels.
Problem 12: Corruption in other departments.
Solution: Whether Agriculture, Horticulture, Sericulture, Veterinary, Public Distribution Systems, Accounts, Statistics, Trade & Commerce, Legal, Social Welfare, Forestry, banks, post Offices, Irrigation & Flood Control or any other government department you name it and there is found corruption in one way or the other. So, now all these nonsense called corruptions have to stop in all the departments else the future is very gloomy for the society.
Problem 13: Corruption in all kinds of appointments.
Solution: Stop bribery in all kinds of appointments. Appoint only qualified & merited people. Justice should rule not influence or quota please.
Problem 14: Corrupted Youths.
Solution: Today's misguided youths are dazzled by money & material power. They are materially overfed and spiritually starved. They are getting lost in material whirlpool while neglecting spiritual qualities. This trend of youths result in looking for fast & easy money to fulfill their immediate material desires while forgetting efforts to earn/deserve them.
Then come the delinquent crimes graduating to armed gangs. Rest of the youth are doing blind imitation of Hollywood & Bollywood, drug culture of the spoiled children of the west, uncontrolled sex, indiscriminate eating & drinking habits, free use of fire-arms, loss of interest in studies, general lack of discipline etc eating up their moral fabrics. Today's youths are the worst products of the morally degraded modern society.
Instead of revolting against corruption they themselves are involved in the corruption. Now is the time for the youths to wake up and analyze things, take up good things & discard the bad, not to follow people blindly but use their intelligence to do what is best for them and revolt against corruption of all kinds.
All said & read, it is of no use to browse through this article just for the fun of reading. If the readers take up & practice at least a fraction of the suggested solutions for stopping corruption of all kinds, it will be of lasting good to the society.
Let's be the soldiers of fortune in the war against corruption. Let justice rule the world.
* Gajendra Naorem, Founder-Director, Happy World, Kakching - Manipur, contributes regularly to e-pao.net . The writer can be contacted at happypeoplesociety(at)gmail(dot)com . This article was webcasted on October 10th, 2007